Monday, October 15, 2007

Film Reviews Coming Up!

I love films, I love all kinds of films from all over the world. From classics to blockbusters, from art films to animated films, from films that show great art to films that are meant to tiltillate or exploit. There are great films from every genre and every culture. My reviews will be different than others you will see. I am not a film snob and I am not a film geek. Films to me are meant to do two things: 1.) storytelling and 2.) create an effect on the viewer. Films can be great art and films can simply entertain or take you to another world. There are poetic films like Ozu's "Tokyo Story" and Resnais' "Hiroshima Mon Amour", there are primal epics of the heart like Zhang Yimou's "Red Sorghum" and Satyajit Ray's "Pather Panchali", there are gaudy and colorful Bollywood epics like "Devdas" and "Veer Zaara", there are surreal classics like David Lynch's "Blue Velvet" and "Mulholland Drive", there are exploitation masterpieces like Takashi Miike's "Audition" and Takashi Kitano's "Zatoichi" remake.
Countless films I love. These films all leave a lasting impact in my life. This is what I am searching for. Not films to put on pedestals, not films that are techincally perfect, not films that are prestigious. I want films that move me. In other words, films that I love in all its imperfections and cumulative cohesive glories. I love films. This is how I will go into each review. The first review I will post is Ang Lee's "Lust, Caution". I will post that as soon as I can.

No comments: